Working Effectively with Government
The world of Government and the public services is complex. There are usually only a few people who are close enough to the policy- and decision-making heart of a government who have a good view of how it all works. Most of us have a very small part in the workings of a very big machine and yet we contribute to policies and outcomes that affect the lives of many millions of people. To do our jobs well, we have to see, understand and contribute to this bigger picture. We have to ensure that the part of the machine for which we are responsible works well and we have to be able to manage ourselves, other people and other resources to achieve that.
That is what this course is all about. Anyone who attends it will be better equipped to deal with the complexity, constraints and demands of working with government. They’ll know much more about how to align resources, policies and attitudes and behaviours to the achievement of strategic priorities. And they’ll have personal awareness and practical skills that will help them to lead their organisations effectively
What does the course cover?
This programme addresses three aspects of the role of senior officials and public servants:
- Supporting effective government and good governance
- Setting direction: aligning activities and resources to the achievement of key outcomes
- Improving performance through leadership
Specific topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Insights into how governments work: principles, practice and institutions
- Principles of good governance
- The roles and responsibilities of public servants; accountability
- Working with Parliaments and legislatures
- Strategic thinking: seeing the bigger picture; setting the direction; focussing on outcomes; dealing with uncertainty
- A policy-making encompassing policy analysis; supporting decision-making; planning for delivery and evaluation
- Effective use of resources: managing public finances; improving organisational effectiveness
- Working with stakeholders, using influence to achieve organisational priorities
- Managing through people: improving performance and skills; principles of employee engagement
- Approaches to leadership including personal and team leadership styles and the leader as a persuasive communicator.
What difference will this training make to my/the organisation’s performance?
Leaders in public service organisations face particular challenges and need to develop unique awareness and capabilities. Working Effectively for Government reflects real understanding of the world of government and the public sector and what is needed for success.
We want our training to contribute to making a difference. We recognise that training alone is not going to change things significantly but we do know that individuals can benefit greatly from training that is rooted in reality and that organisations that support and encourage the application of what individuals have learned back in the workplace can benefit too.
We use facilitators who have delivered policy training that has contributed to making a difference.