|FTS Eligible - Financial Training Scheme for Singaporean citizens and PRs only (more information)
Investing in equities in all its forms, instruments and vehicles, when compared to other asset classes, offers investors an unparalleled long-term return potential - combined with income distribution in many cases, and a unique strategic value to businesses, institutional investment funds, and individual investment portfolios.
Clearly to achieve such benefits investors must proficiently manage the different economic, financial, and business cycles, applying suitable and realistic valuation models, with both a long-term strategic view and a short-term tactical approach when managing equity investments.
During the last decade stock markets have presented erratic price patterns including increased volatility, and unexpected correlation changes with the other asset classes. As a result of the unpredictable behaviour of global stock markets, many investors have shortened their investment horizon of their equity holdings, moving into securities trading rather than long-term investing. While many investors have remained cautious, other experienced investors have managed to successfully navigate through all the uncertainties, volatilities, and unexpected risks, achieving attractive returns in their investment portfolios, due to their equity holdings.
The need for a new set of criteria to manage equity portfolios efficiently seems evident, as traditional valuation models and market indicators have been of little value when faced to financial crises, asset bubbles, and market behavioural anomalies. The value and importance of this workshop is that it provides a very complete in-depth view on how to plan, manage, and control equity investments in all of its forms, providing asset managers, global investors, security traders, financial advisors, wealth managers, and bankers, with the needed practical technical tools to manage successfully their equities investment portfolios.
This Workshop becomes essential given the upcoming economic and financial scenario, which most likely include increasing interest rates which will hit bond prices; a lower refinancing capacity in the corporate sector which will lead to restructurings and potential defaults. Global investors will find new investment growth opportunities in equity IPOs, mergers, privatizations, infrastructure and project finance, which build a case to consider increasing equity holdings in the investment portfolios.
Aims and Objectives
This workshop will provide to investment professionals who trade, or buy and hold stocks, equity funds and products, and conduct direct investments in companies; the necessary practical knowledge, tools and techniques that will allow them to:
- Maximise portfolio returns and control down-side risk by incorporating strategically equity investments in their portfolios
- Comprehend the benefits and strategic value of equity asset class compared to other asset classes and become aware of the real risk of the equity asset class
- Identify the economic, business, and financial cycles of a company in order to determine how long to keep stocks in an investment portfolio and when to sell them
- Conduct realistic and efficient company and equity valuations in IPOs, equity offerings, M&As, privatizations, and private equity transactions; using relative valuations, discounted cash-flow methods, and appraisal value, adjusting for equity control premiums and illiquidity discounts
- Apply effectively relevant market and equity ratios and multiples in order to conduct an efficient stock selection to achieve expected investment objectives
- Understand and measure the gap between low priced stocks and their intrinsic value and growth potential
- Uncover the formation of asset bubbles and the behavioural finance anomalies that impact market prices and the return of equity investments
- Examine market sentiment and momentum, in order to identify technical signals that reveal potential up-trends, down-trends, and trendless price movements
- Analyse the benefits, limitations, and hidden risks of the different equity funds and alternative investment structures and legal investment vehicles available for equity investments: Limited Partnerships, Corporations (Off-shore/On-Shore), Alternative Mutual Funds, ETFs, ETNs, ETPs, Structured Products and Hedge Funds
- Determine the most efficient management style and strategy or different types of equity investments based on different investment objectives and risk-return restrictions
- Analyse and control the efficiency of equity investment portfolios and funds using risk adjusted return measures to determine tracking errors, objective deviations, and unexpected risk factors that require rebalancing
- Formal material presented by the Course Director which may include any of the following:
- Power Point slides
- Use of flip-boards
- Short films on DVD or internet clips of selected topic related to the course
- Hand-outs containing articles, statistics, and theoretical support
- Interactive discussions through exercises and case studies
- The Course Director’s feed-back, advisory, and coaching using his extensive field experience
- Comprehensive supporting literature and Statistical Research from different reliable sources
- Delegates' participation providing their questions, knowledge and experience
All delegates should bring their own laptops loaded with Microsoft Excel® 2010 or later and Word to facilitate in-class studies and exercises.
This programme is approved for listing on the Financial Training Scheme (FTS) Programme Directory and is eligible for FTS claims subject to all eligibility criteria being met.
Please note that in no way does this represent an endorsement of the quality of the training provider and programme. Participants are advised to assess the suitability of the programme and its relevance to participants' business activities or job roles. The FTS is available to eligible entities, at a 50% funding level of programme fees, subject to a cap of $2,000/participant/programme and all eligibility criteria being met. FTS claims may only be made for programmes listed on the FTS Programme Directory with specified validity period. Please refer to www.ibf.org.sg for more information.