Introduction to cross-cultural communication
- Why intercultural skills are critical in the modern business world
- Understanding and appreciating differences when doing business across the globe
- A brief history of the study of Intercultural Skills
Detailed insights into culture
- How culture is central to the way we view and experience the world
- Culture in the work context
- The importance of not stereotyping particular nationalities: recognising that within cultures there are many sub-cultures and individual differences
Understanding ones own personality type within a culture
- Participants consider their own personality type on various dimensions
- The difference between personality and culture
- To what extent do certain cultures have a bias towards certain traits?
- Psychometric questionnaire: Analysing ones personality and comparing different cultures
Key four aspects of culture and how they vary across the planet
- Deal vs. relationship cultures
- Hierarchical vs egalitarian cultures
- Monochronic vs. polychronic cultures
- Emotionally expressive vs. reserved cultures
Key skills to enhance intercultural communication
- Listening and understanding the world from the other partys perspective
- The ability to develop empathy and to read the perspective of the other party
- Negotiating across cultures what are the rules to be aware of?
Learning to read Non-Verbal Communication in an intercultural context
- The study of body language what aspects are common to all cultures and what varies from one culture to another? Conscious and unconscious gestures
- Which cultures are more tactile, which cultures retain greater or lesser physical distance, which cultures offer more or less eye contact?
- How you can use this when selling, negotiating or managing across cultures?
Video examples reading body language to enhance teamwork, selling or negotiation skills
- Participants look at videos of different reactions in different cultures
- Understanding how to read the emotions of others
- Developing the skills of empathy as a tool to recognise and handle cross-cultural issues
Cultures from all over the globe focus on particular cultures
- Focus on particular cultures as chosen by the client
- Taking the four foremost aspects of culture and plotting them worldwide
Video exercise: Non-verbal communication from across the globe
Role plays: Enhancing teamwork in a multicultural environment
- Participants confront difficult work-related problems in a multicultural context
- Using the skills of listening, empathy and body language to resolve the issues
- Mutual feedback what went well and what skills need to be enhanced further?
- Discussion: practical steps to overcome diversity issues
Intercultural skills: Selling, managing and negotiating
- Further reading - how to develop the skills further?
Personal Action Planning: Participants consider how to develop their intercultural skills further