As a general rule, the more complex or specialized the work or project, the more likely it is that design, engineering, construction and procurement will be carried out by independent contractors. Even the largest multi-national and State petroleum companies rely upon EPC Contractors with the technical skills and management experience to design build and commission complex developments and projects. Today, there is a trend towards tendering large, full-cycle EPCIC projects, particularly for offshore production.
This 4-day training programme on the variations of Engineering Procurement Construction Management and Installation (EPC, EPCM and EPCIC) Contracts that are used in the international petroleum industry.
- After attending this programme, participants will be able to:
- Understand the options for the types of agreements used for implementing large-scale petroleum projects.
- Discuss and apply decision-making criteria in tendering for EPC,EPCM and EPCIC contracts.
Understand the various considerations in adopting risk management strategies and the allocation and limitation of liablity between Owners and Contractors.
Effectively participate in the resolution of disputes that arise during petroleum operations.
Course material is presented in both a lecture format and a handbook. Each topic begins with a statement of the intended Learning Outcome. Power point slides, which coincide with the text of the handbook, are used as illustrations for each topic. Together this material provides the participants with a useful resource for future reference. The instructor also encourages questions and feedback from participants during the topical presentations.
At the end of each Section, the participants are asked to apply the information presented to an Exercise which is intended to reflect situations that are commonly encountered in the petroleum industry. The Exercises are presented in a case-study format where a specific situation is described, along with sections for the relevant agreements. Participants are then expected to describe how they would approach the management or resolution of the situation by apply instructional material.
Who Should Attend
- Contract / Project Engineers
- Commercial Contract Managers
- Commercial Operation Teams
- Procurement supply chain professionals
- Risk Managers
- Lawyers and Paralegals
What You Will Learn
Delegates will gain an in-depth understanding of the transactional and legal issues relating to the formation and management of the following contracts in the international petroleum industry:
- Engineering, Procurement, and Construction" (EPC) is a particular form of contracting arrangement used in some industries where the EPC Contractor is made responsible for all the activities from design, procurement, construction, to commissioning and handover of the project to the End-User or Owner. This form of contract is sometimes referred to a “Turnkey" or "Lump Sum Turn Key" (LTSK).
- "Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Management" (EPCM) is a special form of contracting arrangement for some petroleum industry projects where the owner selects a contractor to provide "management services" for the whole project.
- "Engineering, Procurement, Installation & Commissioning", (EPCIC) or and "Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Commissioning" (EPCC). Extends the obligation of the contractor to complete installation of facilities and commission them prior to handing over.